Well, That Was…Fun?

Well NerdBoat definitely was fun, but I’ll talk about that in another post.

Insurance switched on March 1st. Even before that I went to the Doctor we used to have under UnitedHealth (on my own dime, natch, since she wasn’t covered by the insurance we had at that time), to let her know what was going on and what I was going to need to happen ASAP as soon as we got back from NerdBoat. She gave me all the referrals I needed, but of course, scheduling things had to wait until the new insurance kicked in.

So of course, as soon as we got back, I was able to take the new insurance cards and get everything scheduled. Hahahahahaha, yeah right. And monkeys flew out of my butt!

No, there were no cards when we got home. Hell, two weeks later and we STILL don’t have no stinkin’ cards! However. After many calls – calls to UnitedHealth, to the HR woman at my husband’s company, to the insurance broker the company used, the Oncologist’s office, and round and round and round again – FINALLY! I got my Group# and ID# down and straight so that everybody could actually FIND it in whatever byzantine system they used at their offices.

It took days. It felt like the days when we were trying to figure out if the Oncologist and Cancer Center I was using would take any of the new insurance options we were being offered. Before NerdBoat, I’d set up an appointment with the new Oncologist for after NerdBoat, thinking that surely I’d have the insurance cards by then. I ended up having to pay a cash deposit, which I’m ASSURED will be refunded when they finally put it through to the insurance.

Met the Oncologist, who insisted on going through every last detail of the information that the previous Oncologist had already given me. And then he refused to even discuss a chemo schedule with me. Purely out of his concern with my wallet! Afraid that I’d end up having to pay out of pocket and my insurance wouldn’t reimburse me. I was fuming when I left.

The next day I get a phone call from his Nursing Assistant, and set up an appointment for another round of Chemo Teaching. And called in a round of prescriptions for the same drugs I have sitting in my medicine cabinet.

And therein came the next round of phone calls. I called the Pharmacist to give the new insurance information. But the Group and ID #’s were insufficient. Pharmacist needed a whole NEW group of numbers, which can be found on your insurance card. Which I don’t have. So, I get to call HR, and broker, and Insurance company all over again.

I must give praise to Ashly, the woman in Member Services at the Insurance company, who called the Pharmacist FOR me, sat on hold for what felt like 20 minutes, checking back every so often, and finally got the Pharmacist straightened out for me. I sing Hosannas in her honor.

So then everybody lived happily ever after! Hahahaha! How gullible do you think I am? But it does seem like things are coming together. I will sit through ANOTHER ┬áChemo Teaching session tomorrow, wherein I’ll do my damnedest to hold my tongue. And Radiology called today, and we scheduled my port placement. But I was a little puzzled by the request to come in two hours early. And after we hung up, it hit me. I got the “iodine allergy” stricken from my records with my previous Oncologist. But not with the new one. They’re probably going to try and make me do a two-hour Benadryl drip beforehand.

Shit. Looks like another round of phone calls/emails tomorrow. I am freaking exhausted, and I haven’t even STARTED chemo yet.

Today, I found out that someone else in my husband’s company is also having to expedite their Insurance ID #’s. I hope that, having gone through this once, HR will have a better idea of what needs to happen. FSM have mercy on their souls.

Oh yeah, and for everyone at home keeping score? This is what it’s like with GOOD insurance.